Sunday, September 20, 2009

Shofar and Rain

I always think about Turkey and hearing the call to prayer. I miss it frequently, it was centering and nice. Today, sitting in my apartment, I heard the shofar being blown from my house. After I thought I was hearing a dying elephant, I knew exactly was it was. And it brought the same feeling of reflection and calm. And although, millions of people would oppose my view, I feel like Islam and Judaism are the same, and I have a very difficult time seeing the differences. Of course, there are minor things, but overall, it's the same. Now, after having the same feeling, I am even more convinced. True Jews and true Muslims (and true Christians) are praying for the same things to the same God. Then....maybe two minutes later, it rained. (Only for 40 seconds probably, but there were raindrop marks on the ground.) What a pleasant coincidence, right after the shofar being blown in the desert. =)

1 comment:

Stacie Dotson said...

Andrea, we just got finished looking at sacred texts of Judiasm, Islam, and Christianity. My students were amazed at the similarities. Most understood the connection between the Jewish Torah and Christianity by recognizing it as Old/New Testament, but were blown away by the idea that Muslims honored Judeo-Christian principals...