Friday, November 06, 2009

My visit with Nasreim

I know I am spelling her name wrong, but I met Nasreim at BGU through a dean of students who wants to help Arab students improve their English and become more integrated on campus. There is still a lot of discrimination to Arab students, maybe not outright, but it's subtle and can be heard. But I really hit the jackpot because Nasreim is awesome. She is 32 and beautiful and has three kids, below, and is now going back to school. Her husband is a doctor and they have a clinic very near their home. She's an incredible woman and I am happy that I get to spend time with her and her family. The little girl, Roa, talks to me in Hebrew like I understand everything she says, and obviously that is not the case, but it's really cute and it does help my Hebrew. They all speak Arabic and they go to school in Beer Sheva so they speak Hebrew at school. Nasreim didn't learn Hebrew until she was older and she is aware how important it is for her children to speak Hebrew. They are also learning English, of course. I had a great afternoon and I can't wait to go back and visit!!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: