Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ode to Paula

This is my beautiful mom working on some ceramic project. (I like how she is looking over the top of her glasses.) 

My mom is ridiculously awesome. As noted previously in this blog she was awarded Indiana's Art Teacher of the Year! Now...after many years of applying for the Lilly Endowment, my mom WON!!!!!!!! She applied to go to the Galapagos Islands, off of Ecuador to take pictures of the endangered species and to showcase them in the school. She is going to show how one can use photography to draw awareness and save (animal) life. My mom has been obsessed with the Galapagos since before I can remember. She would tell me about the crazy (cool) birds that live there and about Darwin's studies.  My mom is not a science person, so it was pretty interesting to hear her go on and on about something so "academic" since she is such an "artsy" person.    

Not only am I proud of her for achieving her goal and dream, but I am proud of her for never giving up.  The Lilly Endowment told her no for many years, but she kept applying. My mom always told me if I wanted something badly enough, people will help you. You can always find help to achieve your goals, there is no reason you have to achieve them alone. 

She is my hero and role model. Way to go, Mom! You are one of a kind.  


No comments: