Friday, July 28, 2006

Big lessons, little novel...


This is my new friend Nancy, from North Carolina, we met in Gettysburg. She took me on the Buchanan Trail, to his national park and birthplace. She has quite the "sunny disposition" and it's impossible to not fall in love with her instantly.

Jaret took my to Indy for my flight, which was really two, to BWI via Pittsburgh. They were both short and pleasantly uneventful. Nonetheless, exciting though, mostly from anticipation of my destination. After being picked up from the airport. It was like I had never left, the teasing commenced. Both gentleman have girlfriends, which I did not mind at all. Really I like guys who have girlfriends more, because I don't have to worry about being hit on or put into an awkward situation. But this caused problems on where I would stay. For some reason, the boys did not trust themselves, or their significant others did not trust them, because I could not simply stay in room with one of them even if I was fully clothed (including bra) at all times in a separate bed. We worked it out and I much appreciate them going extremely out of their way for me.

(Okay, so I took this part out because I realize that it was unfair and judgemental of me to write that, and I'm extremely sorry...another lesson learned the hard way.)

The other great thing I took away from my adventure was from my best friend and her boyfriend, who is now also a great friend, even if just by association for now. This was the first time I have actually talked to him in person, although I did break him up with his ex-girlfriend, so he would go out with my best friend. I had almost given up hope finding someone who was a virgin, (and not for a religious right reason) intelligent, smart, and sexy. But these two gave me my faith back. They're completely adorable and I love hearing her stories, however silly they may be, about learning from each other and teaching each other what's going on. I want that too. I don't want someone to tell me I'm doing something wrong or that I'm suppose to do it a certain way because that's how he did it with a fling or an ex-girlfriend. I don't want him to be completely naive, but I want to learn, experience, and appreciate together, and if he did that with someone else first, I feel like it wouldn't be as meaningful and I wasn't worth the wait. I may be looking too deeply into something that men see as a necessity to love, but I don't care.

They're coming to visit me in August, we're going to Chicago to see the city, hopefully ride bikes along the lake front to Navy Pier. We'll probably go to Michigan for dinner and then for icecream. I'm sure that's surprising.

This seems long enough a short novel and I barely touched the surface of all the great things I did in Gettysburg, I crocheted a monkey while I was there, I'll post a picture of it soon.

We went to Winchester, VA. I relaxed, drank tea, snuck into a movie at the Majestic. Talked and laughed with Kevin, who hasn't changed one bit, and I'm grateful for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, you don't know this, but you're one of my role models. Whenever I need to be reminded that sometimes I have to do the difficult thing, you come to mind. And I've come to realize that sometimes I need to take risks to get what I really want- whatever or whoever that might be. Thanks for the confidence.

Anonymous said...

I was under the impression that friends don't say hurtful things about friends in their online journals. Apparently I was wrong. Sorry I am such a disappointment to you. It was wrong of you to talk about my girlfriend and our private conversation, especially since I let you use my room. I can tolerate you writing negative things about myself, but leave my girlfriend, whom you don't know, out of it. She embodies all the qualities I wish I found in myself, but as you so eloquently pointed out, lack.