Thursday, October 08, 2009

"The Last Lecture"

I'm not done reading this book yet, but many things have reminded me of people I love. One is, he talks about smelling crayons. My sister and I would always buy a new box of crayons when school started, at least a 64 pack. Sometimes we would get some for Christmas, too. They are awesome. They are crisp and new. And as he says in the book, they always remind you of childhood. Maybe that's why Katie and I like them so much. Either way, I liked being reminded of my sister.

The other part of the book I really liked was when he talked about winning the "Parent Lottery." No one gets to choose their parents. But he talks about how he was so lucky to get great parents that taught him great lessons and inspired him to dream big and encouraged him to achieve all his childhood goals. My point is, I won the parent lottery too! My parents are incredible. Maybe in their heads, but there was never anything that I wanted to do "when I grew up" that my parents didn't think I should try. If I failed, at least I would learn along the way. They are both terrific, and I know I wouldn't be where I am, or done what I've done without them.

No comments: