Thursday, March 13, 2008

My 1st earthquake!

4.8-Magnitude Quake Shakes Turkey

12 hours ago

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A moderate earthquake shook a small Turkish town near Istanbul but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The quake on Wednesday had a preliminary magnitude of 4.8 and was felt in Istanbul and other nearby towns.

The Kandilli Observatory's seismology center said the quake was centered in the town of Cinarcik, some 30 miles across the Sea of Marmara from Istanbul.

Cinarcik was among the areas devastated when two earthquakes hit northwestern Turkey in 1999, killing about 18,000 people.

Earthquakes are frequent in Turkey, much of which lies atop the active North Anatolian fault.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I'm assuming you're alive since you posted this, and since we've talked twice since the post went up.

I wish I was able to come visit, and then the earthquake would happen when I was there. That way, I could make a commment about how I rock your world.

Cause you know I do. :-)